QuickDEX II card decks can be easily imported into iData Pro, as follows:
1. To make sure that iData Pro recognizes your card decks, the file name should end in .QD. This is because the Cocoa framework used for iData Pro doesn't easily deal with the old file creator information that was used in earlier versions of the Operating System. File name extensions, separated from the main file name by a period, are now the standard. (iData Pro 3 and 4 datafiles will have an extension of .id3.)
2. Run iData Pro.
3. Since iData Pro permits styled text in the Freeform Text Area, it's a good idea to make sure that the default font and point size are set before importing any datafiles. If you have not already done so:
a. Select Default Font for Freeform Text Area from the Format menu, which will bring up the following dialog window:
b. Click the Select button to bring up the Font Panel, and select the desired default font and point size. This font and point size will be used for the Freeform Text Area of all new datafiles, including imported datafiles.
c. Once you are satisfied with your choice, click the Save button.
4. In iData Pro, select QuickDEX II Card Deck... from the Import sub-menu, under the File menu.
5. In the Open dialog that comes up next, navigate to the card deck to import, select it, and click the Open button.
6. A new Untitled datafile window will be created, and the card deck will be imported into that. You should save the new datafile right away--especially if you want to use the same name as the original card deck. Be sure to save it to the iData Pro Datafiles folder, or to a subfolder within that folder, so that it will show up in the Datafiles menu.
7. The text for each record will go into the Freeform Text Area, and no fields will be created. Of course, you can add fields later, if you wish, by selecting Modify Fields in the Fields sub-menu, under the Edit menu.
8. The newly imported datafile will use the default settings for iData Pro. Once you have saved your new datafile, you should go ahead and select Datafile Settings from the File menu, and change any settings you wish.